Nepal parties reach agreement on new Constitution

A federal structure with eight Provinces and a mixed electoral system will be major features of the new Constitution.

June 08, 2015 05:54 pm | Updated December 04, 2021 11:30 pm IST - Kathmandu

The four major political parties of Nepal on Monday agreed in principle to having a federal structure with eight Provinces under a new Constitution for the Himalayan nation.

After reaching a decision in this regard earlier in the day, the four major political parties in Nepal — the Nepali Congress, Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist-Leninist), United Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) and the Terai-based Madhesi Front — were scheduled to formalise the understanding in the evening at the Prime Minister’s Office, a leader who attended the morning meeting said.

Top leaders of the four parties met at Prime Minister Sushil Koirala’s official Baluwatar residence on Monday morning.

Nepal’s political parties have earlier failed to arrive at a consensus during lengthy discussions on six- and eight-Province models.

The names of the proposed Provinces and demarcation of inter-Province border were yet to be finalised. A commission of experts was likely to be set up to finalise the names and boundaries of the proposed provinces, a leader present in the meeting said.

The meeting decided to assign the federal commission the authority to fix boundaries of the proposed Provinces and the naming of the proposed Provinces to the Federal Assembly.

Likewise, the four major political parties also reached agreement to adopt a mixed electoral system.

According to the agreement, 60 per cent of the lawmakers would be elected directly through the first-past-the-post system, and the remaining 40 per cent under the proportional electoral system.

Top News Today


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.