Two held for May murder in Thane

Thane Police Crime Branch on Saturday arrested two accused in the murder of a Bhandup resident, whose disfigured body was found in Thane in May.

A decomposed body was found with the face bashed beyond recognition stuffed in a gunny sack at the Bush Company Compound in Wagle Estate, Thane, on May 4, police said. Based on the marks on the body, the Wagle Estate police registered a case against unknown persons and initiated investigations.

The Unit V of the Thane Crime Branch obtained details of all Missing Person's Complaints registered in Thane and nearby areas, and found the description of Shekhar Pillai (40), matched the body. Pillai, an autorickshaw driver, had been missing since May 1 and a complaint had been registered with the Bhandup police.

“We tried to get the family to identify the body but they were too disturbed. We then collected blood samples from his wife and sent them for DNA comparision, along with hair and fingernail samples from the body. In the meantime, we started looking into Pillai's movements and interactions before we went missing,” a Thane Crime Branch officer said.

Earlier this month, the Forensic Sciences Laboratory in Kalina sent a report confirming that the body was Pillai’s. Based on inquiries, the police learned that Pillai earlier worked in the metal fabrication industry and had sold a lathe machine to a friend several months ago, the payment for which was still pending.

“On suspicion, we picked up Pillai's friend, Grijesh Singh (50) who after sustained questioning confessed to having killed Pillai, as the latter would frequently demand the money he was owed,” the officer said.

On May 1, Pillai went to meet Mr. Singh to demand the money and in the argument that ensued Mr. Singh, and his employee Pramodkumar Gupta, allegedly strangled him to death. Mr. Gupta later dumped the body in the place it was subsequently discovered.

Mr. Singh and Mr. Gupta were arrested on Saturday and charged with murder and destruction of evidence under the Indian Penal Code. After being produced in court, they were remanded in police custody till September 21, officers said.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Apr 7, 2020 11:51:20 AM |

Next Story