Mumbai

Selfie atop train costs schoolboy his life

A 14-year old schoolboy, who was trying to take a selfie on his cellphone atop a stationary train wagon, was electrocuted and died a few hours later on Tuesday evening, officials said.

The incident happened at Nahur station yard in Mumbai when the victim, Sahil C. Eshwarkar, allegedly climbed atop a goods train wagon parked there to click a selfie.

He accidentally came in contact with a 25,000V overhead electrical wire and was electrocuted, suffering 80 per cent burns.

He was rushed to the Rajawadi Hospital nearby where he was declared dead on admission. The police have registered a case of accidental death.

A Class-IX student of the St. Francis Xaviers High School, Sahil was accompanied by some friends who had gone to try out a new mobile phone gifted by his father only two days ago.

This is the second such incident of teenagers getting killed while clicking selfies in the city this year.

In January, a 16-year old college student Ganesh Kumkumwati met a similar fate after attempting to click a selfie atop a train wagon in Jogeshwari and touching the powerful 25,000 volt overhead wire.

null
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Aug 6, 2020 8:06:00 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/mumbai/mumbai-schoolboy-dies-while-taking-selfie-atop-train/article7841257.ece

Next Story