Coronavirus | Maharashtra may divert all oxygen supply for medical use: Uddhav Thackeray

With the demand for oxygen surging, the State public health department had last month directed oxygen manufacturers to divert 80% of their stocks for medical use and retain the rest 20% for industrial purposes

April 03, 2021 07:04 pm | Updated April 04, 2021 12:45 am IST - Mumbai

Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray. File

Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray. File

With Maharashtra recording over half of the daily coronavirus cases in India, the State government is considering diverting all industrial use oxygen supply for medical use, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray said on Saturday.

In an online interaction with newspaper owners, editors and distributors, Mr Thackeray said a decision on imposing stringent measures to tackle the pandemic will be taken soon but did not confirm if there will be a statewide lockdown.

Maharashtra on Friday reported 47827 new cases, the highest daily rise in around six-and-a-half-months, and a big chunk of the 89,129 new cases in a day recorded in India.

With the demand for oxygen surging, the State public health department had last month directed oxygen manufacturers to divert 80% of their stocks for medical use and retain the rest 20% for industrial purposes.

Mr Thackeray said the State government is considering diverting even that 20% for medical use, because of the surge in cases and the "alarming" situation in the State.

The daily demand for oxygen in Maharashtra has touched 700 metric tonnes against the state's production capacity of over 1200 metric tonnes, an official said.

A notification stating 80% of capping for medical use was issued on Tuesday. It said that the rule would apply to all of Maharashtra and stay in force till June 30.

Mr Thackeray said the State government is increasing testing and also not keeping "even a single positive" case under wraps.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.