A fire in a 24-storey residential building in Mumbai’s Byculla area caused nine persons, including five senior citizens, to suffer from suffocation.
The nine people, including five senior citizens, have been admitted to a hospital in Parel and kept under observation.
The incident occurred at 3:40 a.m. on the third floor of the building in New Hind Mill Compound at MHADA Colony at Ghodapdeo. The fire, suspected to be triggered by a short circuit, was confined to the electric meter cabin, wiring, cable, scrap, material, and garbage ducts from 1st to 24th floor of the building, officials said.
A total of 135 people were rescued, with 25 from the terrace, 30 from the 15th-floor refuge area, and 80 from the 22nd-floor refuge area.
Five fire engines and three water tankers along with other fire brigade vehicles were rushed to the spot after receiving the call and the blaze was doused by 7:20 a.m.