Worker electrocuted at restaurant in Chennai

Police said the 24-year-old was cleaning a section of the restaurant near a fridge, when he was electrocuted by a power leakage

Published - June 11, 2024 01:08 pm IST - CHENNAI

A 24-year-old worker at a popular restaurant in Thoraipakkam, was electrocuted while he was cleaning a section near a refrigerator, early on Monday, June 10, 2024.

The victim has been identified as Dhan Kumar, 24 of Tripura, who was working at the Bhatinda Express restaurant located near the Thoraipakkam junction. He and two others were cleaning near the refrigerator when he was thrown to the ground due to a power leakage. The other two also sustained burns, police said.

The victims were immediately rushed to a nearby hospital. Dhan Kumar was declared ‘brought dead’ while the others are undergoing treatment.

The Thoraipakkam police have booked a case against the supervisor and owner of the restaurant for offences including causing death due to negligence.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.