Narrow escape for passengers as car catches fire

Published - October 02, 2018 11:34 pm IST - KOCHI

Panic gripped the area near Pallimukku in the city on Tuesday evening when a moving car caught fire on a busy road near the junction. No causalties were reported.

Fire and rescue officials said the incident took place around 5.30 p.m. The passengers in the car spotted smoke emanating from the front side of the vehicle and immediately stopped it. As soon as they got out, the car went up in flames.

Locals, who rushed to the spot, alerted the police and the fire force and a fire tender from the Club Road fire station was soon pressed into service. The fire was doused in 10 minutes but a major portion of the car was completely burnt.

Preliminary investigations attributed the flames to a short circuit inside the car battery. “The fire first began to erupt from a position near the battery but a detailed examination is on to affirm the cause,” officials said. Traffic on the stretch was affected for more than half an hour.

The car, owned by Jose Cheriyan of Cherthala, was being driven by one Manu at the time of the incident.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.