Girl dies of suspected food poisoning

Published - May 30, 2019 02:14 am IST - KOCHI

A 13-year-old girl from Perumbavoor is said to have died of reported food poisoning.

A complaint lodged with the police by the girl’s relative, Vijayan P. K., said that on Sunday, the girl, Devika, daughter of Manoj of Parapurathukudi House, Near Shalom School, Vengola, Arakkapady, was taken to a hospital at Arakkapady after she complained of vomiting.

The doctor had then administered medicine with the diagnosis of food poisoning. Next day, as her condition did not improve, she was taken to Muslim Jamath Hospital at Vengola. While her condition turned better on Tuesday morning, it took a turn for the worse after an injection was administered. Subsequently, she was shifted to Samaritan Hospital at Pazhavanangad for better treatment. But she died at night.

According to the First Information Report (FIR), Devika and her grandmother Lakshmi had stayed back at home while others in the family — Devika’s mother Priya and her sister Unnimaya — had gone to attend a wedding with Manoj. It was learnt that she had consumed pineapple and curd.

Devika’s body was handed over to her relatives on Wednesday after post mortem. An inquest is being prepared.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.