Qatar World Cup 2022Points table: France tops group D, Argentina bottom of Group C

World Blood Donor Day observed

June 15, 2018 09:46 am | Updated 09:47 am IST - HYDERABAD

Students and volunteers taking part in an awareness rally on the occasion of World Blood Donors Day organised by Telangana State AIDS Control Society in Hyderabad on Thursday.

Students and volunteers taking part in an awareness rally on the occasion of World Blood Donors Day organised by Telangana State AIDS Control Society in Hyderabad on Thursday.

A meeting to mark the World Blood Donor Day here on Thursday was informed by Preeti Meena, Project Director, Telangana State AIDS Control Society, that only 60% of blood was coming from voluntary donors and the remaining 40% was purchased by the needy in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.

She stressed the need to fill the gap of 40% of blood which was acquired by money with voluntary contribution.

Home Minister Nayini Narasimha Reddy spoke about the government’s initiatives in blood transfusion services. A procession of NCC cadets, NSS volunteers, nursing students, Indian Red Cross Society representatives and staff of blood banks was held from Nizam College to Ravindra Bharati, venue of the meeting. A skit was performed by children affected with Thalassemia highlighting problems faced by them in replacement of their blood every 15 to 20 days.

A 24-year-old Thalassemia patient spoke on the need of blood for herself and others like her. “Being affected by Thalassemia, I understand the importance of blood. I thank all the people who donate blood, I owe my life to all of you. And I request everyone to get HBA-2 test done to prevent Thalassemia”.

(With inputs from Mega J Pandya)

Top News Today

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.