Fire breaks out at women’s hostel in Janakpuri

May 29, 2019 10:38 am | Updated 02:17 pm IST - New Delhi

The two-storey girls hostel building in Janakpuri which caught in fire.

The two-storey girls hostel building in Janakpuri which caught in fire.

A fire broke out in a two-storey girls hostel building in Janakpuri area on Wednesday.

According to the Delhi Fire Service, the fire broke out early morning in the basement of Kaveri Girls hostel in Janakpuri. It is suspected that the fire broke out in an electric panel installed in the basement.

A call was received at 3.05 am, a rescue officer said.

About 50 working women and students stay in the hostel. All of the occupants were safely rescued. Five women have been admitted to a hospital due to smoke inhalation.

The injured girls are admitted in ICU and undergoing treatment at Arya hospital in Janakpuri. Police says all the girls are from outside Delhi. They were preparing for medical exams and enrolled as a student with a coaching academy in the area.

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.