Ensure enough postgraduate seats for St. Stephen’s College: HC to DU

April 23, 2024 12:41 am | Updated 12:41 am IST

On Monday, the High Court ordered Delhi University (DU) to ensure that the allotment of postgraduate (PG) seats in St. Stephen’s College is not disproportionately less than that of other colleges affiliated with the university. The court also asked the university to “consider framing an appropriate policy or guidelines to govern allocation/allotment of seats in PG courses amongst various colleges”.

St. Stephen’s College had moved the court in 2022 saying DU had been allocating disproportionately low number of PG seats to it.

Advocate Romy Chacko, representing St. Stephen’s College, referred to 2021-2022 admissions data, which showed that despite having 50 undergraduate seats in the Physics department, the college was allotted only six PG seats, and against 50 undergraduate seats in the Chemistry department, the college was allotted no PG seats whatsoever.

DU, on the other hand, told the court that St. Stephen’s College’s “rebellious” attitude in subjecting the students shortlisted by the university for admission to the PG courses to a further round of interview was the main factor that provoked DU to reduce the number of PG seats for the college.

The university said the students who could not clear the interview round were not granted admission by St. Stephen’s College. In such circumstances, DU had to make special efforts to ensure that such students were admitted to other colleges, it added. This was creating disharmony among students and also upsetting the system of allocation of PG seats among colleges, DU also told the court.

The university, however, said that if St. Stephen’s College restricts interviews for admission of PG students only to students belonging to the Christian minority community, DU would ensure a proportionate allocation of postgraduate seats to the college.

Following this submission, Justice C. Hari Shankar ordered that St. Stephen’s College be permitted to subject minority students seeking admission to PG courses to interview and to allocate 15% marks to the interview and the remaining 85% to CUET scores.

“Non-minority students would, however, not be subjected to any interview for admission to PG courses in the petitioner college. Their admission would solely be on the basis of their CUET score,” the court ordered.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.