Popularly referred to in the Tamil film industry as ‘Iyakunar Sigaram,’ Balachander received the Dadasaheb Phalke award, the highest recognition for excellence in cinema in the country, in 2010. The veteran filmmaker has directed over 100 films and is revered for being a talent-spotter both among artistes and technicians.
The two greatest talents he has nurtured are Kamal Hassan and Rajinikanth, a fact that both the actors have repeatedly acknowledged over the years.
- › Also known as Iyakunar Sigaram, he entered the film industry as a scriptwriter.
- › He was also a producer, actor and play-writer.
- › He has directed over 100 films in various languages in his 45-year career span.
- › KB established himself as a director with Neer Kumizhi. The film won a National Award.
- › The director has introduced over 100 actors to the industry.
- › Superstar Rajinikanth was introduced by the Iyakunar Sigaram in his film Apoorva Ragangal.
- › KB also gave a break to Kamal Haasan and starred him as supporting actor in Arangetram, Aval Oru Thodarkathai and Naan Avan Illai.