Adani signs $700-mn deal for Lanka port

September 30, 2021 10:29 pm | Updated 10:29 pm IST - Colombo

Adani group on Thursday signed a more than $700-million agreement with the Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) and conglomerate John Keells Holdings, becoming the largest foreign investor in the island nation’s ports sector.

The three parties signed a build-operate-transfer agreement spanning 35 years to jointly develop a container terminal at Colombo Port, the SLPA said. The commencement of the Colombo West International Container Terminal is expected to add more than 3 million annual TEU capacity to the Port of Colombo “With the signing of the agreement, and the massive development thereafter, the Port of Colombo will further enhance its global reputation as an international hub port,” the Ports Authority said.

Earlier this year, the Rajapaksa administration announced the involvement of the Adani Group in the development of the West Container Terminal project at the Colombo Port, after India and Japan conveyed their displeasure over being ejected out of a project to jointly develop the East Container Terminal. The Adani group and its local partner will together bring in 85% of the investment in the West Container Terminal, while SLPA will hold the remaining 15% stake, port officials said.

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.