FC Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas has put an end to speculation over his future at the Spanish football club.
The Spanish international, who returned to Barca two seasons ago after spending most of his career playing with Arsenal in English Premier League, was the subject of two offers from Manchester United, who want to take him back to England, reports Xinhua.
Speculation that a move could be on was fuelled by Barca coach Tata Martino, who commented that although he was counting on Cesc for the forthcoming season, the decision whether he stayed or left, rested with the player himself.
Sources close to Barcelona were rumoured to be growing frustrated with the fact Cesc had not spoken out to either confirm or deny his interest in a move, but speaking from Malaysia, where Barca are continuing their Far East tour, Cesc made it clear where his priorities lie.
“Nothing has changed,” he said on Thursday. “I am happy at Barcelona and my dream is to play and to succeed here and I have never considered leaving.”
“I have not spoken to another club in two years,” he confirmed, adding that he had been very calm and it was never in his mind to do anything other than to continue with Barca.
The midfielder expressed surprise that people could consider him leaving the club for a second time after the difficulties he had had in returning to the club he originally abandoned as a 16-year-old.
“What surprises me is that all the press say I am going, when at the club they all say they want me to stay. If they had said they wanted me to leave, that would have been another thing entirely, but I have always felt wanted. I have not asked for a new contract or anything like that and I am surprised by all of the furore that has been kicked up around while I was on my way back from holiday.”
“I have not spoken to anyone or with any other team. It is an honour when an important team wants to sign you, but I am calm, I have not tried to fool anyone and I have not hidden anything and I have a clean conscience. I am very happy at Barcelona,” said Cesc.
Cesc’s decision to stay will be a relief to Barca that has already lost midfielder Thiago Alcantara to Bayern Munich this summer. Had he decided to move, it would left Barca needing to sign a midfielder before the end of the month.