The Tamil Nadu Electricity Regulatory Commission will give its decision on power tariff revision, proposed by the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB), in May or June this year, according to chairman of the commission S. Kabilan.

Speaking to presspersons after a public hearing on the proposed tariff revision here on Tuesday, he said that after the scheduled public hearings, the commission would hold discussions with the Government and some of the large consumers. Apart from the public hearing, all representations submitted to the commission in this regard would also be considered. The revision was proposed after seven years, he pointed out.

Responding to the demands at the public hearing, Chairman of the TNEB C.P. Singh said the board reviewed the demand side assessment regularly for the last one year. From 2011-2012, about 2,000 MW would be added annually in the State for the next three years.

For the last couple of years, on an average, Rs.3,500 crore had been invested in power generation. This would go up to Rs.6,000 to Rs.8,000 crore from next year to create additional generation capacity.

The line loss in the State was estimated to be 18 per cent as against the National average of 26 per cent. Power theft had also come down in the State. The anti-theft squad detected Rs.20 crore theft in 2008-2009 and this year it detected Rs.50 crore theft.

The board had proposed only marginal change in the tariff. He appealed to the Commission to approve the revised tariff to sustain investments.