A public interest litigation petition has been filed in the Madras High Court for a probe by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) into the twin blasts at Chennai Central on May 1, which killed a passenger and injured several others.

The petition said this was required to ensure that the culprits were brought to book, and the Railways should pay compensation to the families of the victims.

At present, the case is being handled by the CB-CID of the State police.

In the petition, filed through counsel R. Krishnamurthy, M. Durai Selvan, an advocate, said the blasts on the Bangalore-Guwahati Express occurred within two days of the police arresting a suspected ISI agent in Chennai. The incident occurred when Narendra Modi was to address campaign meetings in Andhra Pradesh. No outfit had claimed responsibility for the attacks so far.

Mr. Durai Selvan said the Railways had failed to ensure the safety of passengers. Unauthorised persons were allowed to board reserved coaches. No Travelling Ticket Examiner (TTE) carried the mandatory complaint book.