Chief Minister N. Rangasamy said the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) was yet to respond to his demand for shortlisting a panel of names for finalising the next Chief Secretary to the Union Territory of Puducherry.
Speaking to The Hindu here on Sunday, he said the issue was discussed during his meeting with Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Home Secretary when he met them in New Delhi recently. At the meeting, he had asked them to propose names of three persons (as per the standard practice and norms) to select a person from among them as the next Chief Secretary.
“We have not received any intimation so far from the MHA. We are waiting for the process to be set in motion,” Mr. Rangasamy said when asked if he had suggested any names to replace Chief Secretary M. Sathiyavathy, who was transferred to Mizoram by the MHA last month.
When asked if he has solved all controversial issues (including the transfer of Finance Secretary), he said the government was functioning as usual and there was no problem at all.
Asked if the administration was prepared to present a full-fledged annual budget or “vote on account” due to the delay over the preparation of budget, the Chief Minister said what the usual practice would be followed this year also.
On the firing against fishermen of Karaikal and the recent incidents of attack on Indian fishermen allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy, Mr. Rangasamy said the attacks were condemnable. Innocent fishermen should no way be subjected to harassment or attack in the high seas. The Puducherry government had given away compensation to the tune of Rs.1 lakh to an injured fisherman.
It had asked the Central government to take effective steps to prevent use of force against fishermen who ventured into the sea for livelihood. He would also write to the Prime Minister detailing the recent incidents of attack against the fishermen of Karaikal.