The police on Saturday refused to mention any of its personnel in the First Information Report even as a case of attempt to murder was registered over the death of a middle-aged woman in Budgam district of Jammu and Kashmir. Fatima of Dadina village, who was hit on the head with an AK-47 rifle allegedly by a head constable on July 23, succumbed to her injuries at the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences.

Fatima was laid to rest in the village cemetery but not before a massive protest demonstration.

“It will take them five minutes to know who was in the Police party and who was not. They can identify the killer in a minute or two.

Fifty women have identified the tall man in the Police uniform who hit Fatima on head with an AK-47 rifle. Why do the Police make it an issue of ego only to protect some unbridled personnel?” the residents asked, invariably.

As the government continued to be in a denial mode and there has been no reaction to the protests from the Information and the Police departments, authorities re-imposed curfew in Budgam, Dadina and other places. The restrictions were relaxed in the afternoon.

“We have a set procedure for registration of an FIR. To begin with, we have registered case FIR No: 261 under sections 307 [attempt to murder], 148, 149 and 436 of the RPC [Ranbir Penal Code]. Since the death has subsequently occurred, the FIR could be turned into section 302 of the RPC [murder].The accused could be identified on the basis of the recorded statements of the eyewitnesses and other accounts, nominated and booked”, Station House Officer Budgam Inspector Javed told The Hindu.

Superintendent of Police Mohammad Irshad added” “Law will take its own course. The killer will be identified, arrested, removed from service and passed through a trial”. He dismissed allegations of cover up against the Police as “completely untrue.”

Post mortem on victim’s body was earlier conducted by a team of the doctors at Aga Syed Yousuf Memorial District Hospital, Budgam, amid a tight security.