NSG on Saturday rejected allegations of financial irregularities made by a former commando, saying all gift cheques the force received for the 26/11 Mumbai operation have been accounted for and in case of personal ones, they were returned.

The National Security Guard (NSG) headquarters in New Delhi issued a point-wise rebuttal and clarification on the claims of former commando Naik Surender Singh, who had raised issues related to the management of cheques and awards bestowed on him and other ‘black cats’ for recognition of their services during the 2008 terror attacks.

The NSG said a number of cheques which were sent for individual commandos were, on the instructions of Home Ministry, returned with an appeal that these could only be accepted if they are issued in the name of ‘NSG welfare fund’.

“Fifteen cheques amounting to Rs. 22 lakh were received from Shri Deep Kapuria, Chairman and Managing Director, Hi-tech Gears Ltd, Gurgaon payable to serving personnel who were injured during ‘Op Black Tornado’ (Mumbai operation).

This included one cheque No 409796 dated 09.01.2009 of Rs. 2 lakh in favour of Surender Singh. The proposal regarding acceptance of financial assistance was referred to MHA and same was returned back with intimation that proposal had been considered under CCS (Conduct Rules) and same had not been agreed to by the Competent Authority.

“However, it was informed that it would be appropriate that the money should be deposited in NSG Welfare Fund.

Therefore, all the 15 cheques amounting to total of Rs. 22 lakh including cheque No.409796 dated 09.01.2009 of Rs. 2 lakh in favour of Surender Singh were returned to Deep Kapuria. No amount was received back,” NSG Group Commander (Intelligence) Ajay Singh said in a statement.

Mr. Singh had claimed that NSG commandos, who were injured in the 26/11 operation, received a “number of gifts in the form of cheques” but the force had not dispersed them to the people concerned.

More In: National | News