SEARCH

News » National

Updated: May 4, 2010 13:38 IST

No delay in fighter jet tender process: IAF chief

PTI
print   ·   T  T  
File photo of Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik. There would be no delay in finalising the $11 billion-deal to acquire 126 combat aircraft, the IAF chief has said.
AP File photo of Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik. There would be no delay in finalising the $11 billion-deal to acquire 126 combat aircraft, the IAF chief has said.

The IAF has said there would be no delay in finalising the $11 billion-deal to acquire 126 combat aircraft, even though the two-year deadline for the bids submitted by six global aerospace majors ended last week.

“As far as the process (finalising the tenders) is concerned, it is well on track as was visualised,” IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik said here on the sidelines of a function to unveil a portrait of Marshal of Air Force Arjan Singh at the Akash Mess on Monday.

Air Chief Marshal Naik said the process of evaluating the six contenders for the ‘mother of all deals’ would take time and it was not an easy task.

“I am very happy and proud of our people, who have done this (evaluation) on time. They will finish off (the flight and weapons trials) by end of May. It will be a delay of about five or ten days. Our evaluation, testing is on schedule,” he said, when asked if the deadline extension would delay the procurement process.

For the tenders floated in August 2007, U.S. majors Lockheed Martin and Boeing, Russian RAC MiG, French D’Assault, Swedish SAAB and European consortium EADS had submitted their bids.

The companies have offered their F-16IN, F/A-18, MiG-35, Rafale, Gripen and Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft as the future medium multirole combat aircraft for the IAF.

While the IAF has completed the technical evaluation of the bids submitted by the companies in early 2008, the commercial bids were yet to be opened.

The IAF began the flight and weapons evaluation of the six aircraft last year and is set to complete the trials by end of this month.

However, the deadline for the commercial bids ended last week following which the Defence Ministry asked the companies to submit fresh bids or extend the deadline for their existing bids.

When asked about the deadline extension, Air Chief Marshal Naik said, “Deadline expiry is a routine thing, which happens in quite a few cases. The deadline is extended (in such cases).”

Meanwhile, senior IAF officials said they had set a timeline for three years since the tenders were issued to complete the process of evaluation of all the six aircraft in the fray.

“This three-year deadline we will be able to meet,” they said.

To a query on the American Defence Security Cooperation Agency notifying the Congress on the possible sale of 10 Boeing C-17 transport aircraft to India through the Foreign Military Sales route, Air Chief Marshal Naik said the IAF expects the U.S. to send a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) soon.

“They will send us a letter of LOA from their side and the progress will continue. We expect it shortly,” he said.

More In: National | News

International

Tamil Nadu

Andhra Pradesh

Karnataka

Kerala


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in National

A file photo of Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia during the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas, in New Delhi. Photo: V. Sudershan

Replacement of Planning Commission still under consideration

The proposal to replace Planning Commission with a new body, as announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, is “still under consideration... »