Minister of State for Food and Civil Supplies Dinesh Gundu Rao on Tuesday informed the Legislative Assembly the government was doing away with the need of an introducer at the time of applying for APL cards.

Replying to a discussion on the mess involving the distribution of ration cards, he said temporary cards, which were lying in his office for want of takers, would be withdrawn.

Mr. Rao said that 16 lakh applications had been received for issuing new cards and they would have to be disposed of within three months.

Members demanded that door-to-door inspection should be entrusted to village accountants and panchayat development officers for deciding genuineness of the applicants and not teachers. They were supported by Speaker Kagodu Thimmappa.

They also demanded that officials, who failed in completing the process should be dealt with seriously.

More In: Karnataka | National