News » National

Updated: September 16, 2011 11:03 IST

Delhi blast: Toll climbs to 14

Staff Reporter
print   ·   T  T  
Officials of NIA collects evidence from a tree top over the site of the blast of Delhi HC. The toll has risen to 14 on Thursday. File photo
The Hindu
Officials of NIA collects evidence from a tree top over the site of the blast of Delhi HC. The toll has risen to 14 on Thursday. File photo

A 34-year-old man injured in the powerful blast outside the Delhi High Court a week ago died at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital here on Thursday, taking the toll in the terror attack to 14.

Mridul Bakshi, a resident of Nanhe Park in Uttam Nagar, breathed his last around 4 a.m., the hospital authorities said. He had suffered multiple injuries on the head, chest, hands and legs.

“Both his legs and hands were fractured. His had injuries on the head and stomach. His condition was very critical and the infection had spread to his whole body. We had little hope. We were praying for a miracle, but that was not to be,” said Mridul's elder brother Vinod Bakshi.

Mridul, a salesman, had gone to the Delhi High Court in a matter related to his company along with his senior on September 7 when he was injured in the blast. “His senior was standing 10-12 feet away from Mridul, who was at the reception counter seeking an entry pass, when the bomb went off. His senior then called me up to inform that Mridul was injured in the blast.”

Vinod, who stays in the neighbourhood of Mridul's family, regretted the fact that he could not speak to them before his death. “When we reached Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital on September 7, he was lying in the bed badly

injured. I asked him whether he wanted to meet his mother, he could hardly nod his head in affirmation. He lifted his finger to say something, but we could not make out what he wanted to say. Later, his condition worsened and he could not even gesticulate.”

Mridul, who is survived by his wife and a son, was blessed with the child just six months ago. “It was more than six years after his marriage to Rajni that the couple was blessed with a son earlier this year. They offered prayers at several temples seeking a child. And when their prayers were finally answered, destiny had other things in store for him. We find a little solace in the fact that he has left behind a son, Gitesh, to carry forward his name,” said Vinod.

But with the sole bread-winner gone, the family is now faced with a new crisis . “His wife has no means to support the family,” said Vinod.

The last rites of Mridul were performed at Nigam Both Ghat in Om Vihar.

More In: National | News | Delhi

Tamil Nadu

Andhra Pradesh

Other States






Recent Article in National

On January 13, the bench had announced a fine of Rs. 50,000 on anyone caught dumping construction material or religious offerings in the river. File photo

Yamuna restoration: NGT warns authorities of coercive steps

The green bench directed the Secretary of Delhi government, CEO of Delhi Jal Board, three expert members of the tribunal to be present at 3 pm on April 1 for meeting in the chamber. »