Hours after naxals struck in a big way in Chhattisgarh on Tuesday, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was briefed by Home Minister P Chidambaram on the incident and the strategy being adopted by his ministry to tackle the menace of naxalism in the wake of the worst-ever attack.
Mr. Chidambaram gave a detailed report to Dr. Singh on the strike by naxals who ambushed a party of CRPF and local police in Dantewada early this morning, sources said.
He apprised the Prime Minister about steps being taken by the Home Ministry in the aftermath of the worst-ever naxal strike.
Mr. Chidambaram briefed the Prime Minister after a meeting of National Security Council that was attended by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister A K Antony and top officials of the Services and intelligence agencies.
Earlier, Dr. Singh condemned the “horrific” incident and expressed “shock and grief” over the death of paramilitary personnel.
Dr. Singh had also spoken to Mr. Chidambaram earlier in the day over the incident.
Expressing shock over the “very high” casualty of CRPF personnel, Chidambaram said something must have gone “drastically” wrong in the joint operation with the state police.
“The casualty is very high and I am deeply shocked at the loss of lives...This shows the savage nature of CPI(Maoist) and their brutality and the savagery they are capable of. Senior officials will be reaching there shortly,” he said.
“Government of Chattisgarh and CRPF together had planned this operation. They had mobilised both the state forces and the CRPF but something has gone drastically wrong. They seem to have walked into a trap set by naxalites,” he said.
Mr. Chidamabaram said he was very “sorry” for those who lost their lives in the attack.