The Central Bureau of Investigation on Wednesday questioned Commonwealth Games' Organising Committee (OC) chief Suresh Kalamdi in connection with alleged financial irregularities in the conduct of the event here in October last.
Nearly 12 days after searching his residences and offices in Delhi, Pune and Mumbai, the CBI summoned Mr. Kalmadi to its headquarters here.
For eight hours
Mr. Kalmadi, who is also an MP, reached the CBI office at 10 a.m. The questioning began half-an-hour later and it went on for nearly eight hours, official sources said.
The questioning centred around alleged irregularities in the Queen Baton's Relay held in London, besides the award of certain contracts, running into several hundred crores of rupees, to various firms, the sources said.
During searches at his premises, CBI sleuths seized several documents and, on Wednesday, he was asked to explain.
The sources said Manoj Bhori, political adviser to Mr. Kalmadi, and P.K. Srivastava and A.K. Sinha, both assistants to the OC chief, were interrogated.
The CBI had raided the residences of OC Secretary-General Lalit Bhanot, Joint Director-General of the OC R.K. Sacheti and member of the Games Image and Look Group Sangeeta Welingkar.
The CBI has so far filed three FIRs in connection with the alleged financial irregularities.
While one is related to a Rs.107-crore deal with a Swiss score-keeping firm, the other two are in connection with the contract given to AM Films for the Baton Relay ceremonies in London.