SEARCH

News » National

Updated: January 26, 2012 01:20 IST

Ban on posts sad and disgusting: Madhavan Nair

Staff Reporter
Comment (4)   ·   print   ·   T  T  
The Hindu

The controversial Antrix-Devas deal has caught up with the former chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), G. Madhavan Nair, and three other space scientists, who have been barred from holding any government posts, present or future.

Dr. Nair made his displeasure clear to the media. The order barring him from holding government posts is “sad and disgusting,” he told The Hindu on Wednesday.

The other three scientists named in the January 13 order are: K. Bhaskaranarayana, the former Scientific Secretary at ISRO; K.R. Sridharamurthi, the former managing director of Antrix Corporation (commercial arm of ISRO); and K.N. Shankara, the former Director of the ISRO Satellite Centre.


The government of India in its department of space, never realised that S-band has to be used exclusively for defence, paramilitary forces, railways and other national needs such as public utility services and country’s strategic needs and on the contrary agreed to allocate its exclusive use to the private agency (Devas) even before the two satellites were launched.
I don’t think that the political masters who have very little knowledge on these technical issues unless briefed by technocrats could be blamed for the sad state of affairs. The technical managers who were at the helm of affairs in space organisation, ISRO and Antrix are to be blamed squarely for entering into a high value deal with strategic and security implications with Devas and above all keeping the deal a secret. At least if there had been a debate among the numerous defence experts and strategists who are involved in defence studies and research in the country, the calamity could have been averted.

from:  Prof Dr P.Chandra Sekharan
Posted on: Jan 29, 2012 at 10:42 IST

It will be an unhealthy precedent to debar eminent scientists from public postings. All the irregularities in Antxix-Devas deal should be investigated in detail and accountability should only be fixed on erring officials and scientists. Findings of the said investigations must be made public. However, fixing responsibility and debar some of the eminent personalities who are innocent and not aware of the irregularities in the deal will not be a good practice. We should utilize the potential of our scientists who are highly qualified for our development and also for educating our scientific community.

from:  BALAMURUGAN RAJU
Posted on: Jan 26, 2012 at 20:10 IST

the government should not belittle the achievements of the eminent scientists and the facts they are mentioning now on the press. In the last two years, if there is no new announcements by ISRO for new projects, then it is a national shame. They should restrict from making their ex-colleagues a scapegoat for their little or no achievements so far. One more thing here is the fact that none should forget the fact that the world is closely observing us.

from:  vinod
Posted on: Jan 26, 2012 at 09:39 IST

All these people are first officers,then scientists in real sense.They have enjoyed enough perks more than many more competent than them.They are in pensionable posts. It is time that they join in undertaking research in use of S-band satellite systems independently of ISRO.It is possible.After all these people have been resourceful and some contacts will still be available for them

from:  atis
Posted on: Jan 26, 2012 at 08:15 IST
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

International

Tamil Nadu

Andhra Pradesh

Karnataka

Kerala


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in National

National Congress Party members and acid attack survivors stage a
demonstration demanding a ban on over-the-counter sale of acid and stronger
laws to support survivors in New Delhi on Saturday. Photo: Meeta Ahlawat

Acid sale to be monitored online

Home Ministry plan to check the increasing incidence of attacks on women »