Thirty-three students and six teachers were hospitalised after inhaling acid fumes emanating from a mosque where workers were cleaning toilets, in Musheerabad on Friday.

All of them were admitted to the Fever and Gandhi Hospitals at Nallakunta and Musheerabad respectively and discharged by evening. Workers cleaning toilets in Kareemia mosque in Bholakpur sprinkled acid in excess leading to the fumes entering the classroom of ninth standard section ‘A’ of the abutting Anjuman High School.

“The classroom windows were open. Suffocated by the strong fumes, some students started vomiting while others complained of giddiness and burning sensation in the eyes,” Musheerabad Inspector Shyamsunder said. The building of the government-aided school for girls also accommodates a junior college for girls. A lady teacher in the classroom fell unconscious after inhaling the fumes even while she was ensuring that the students vacated the classroom. On learning this, students and teachers of other classes rushed inside only to be affected by the pungent fumes.

The local police rushed to the school and shifted the students and teachers to the two hospitals. Mayor Mohd. Majid Hussain and GHMC Commissioner M.T. Krishna Babu visited the school. Police did not register any case but details of the incident were entered in the police station’s general diary.