Union Textile Minister Kavuri Sambasiva Rao has sanctioned Rs.15 crore for bringing production at Pochampally Handloom Park Limited (PHPL) to its full capacity very soon. Besides, the Union Minister also assured weavers of getting Rs. 15 crore from the State government for PHPL’s development.

“I am going to meet Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy on Monday to apprise him about the need for sanctioning funds to PHPL,” Mr. Rao said.

On Monday, the Union Minister along with senior officials of his ministry arrived at PHPL in Kanumukkala village near Pochampally mandal headquarters to understand issues in the Park where production started in November 2008. PHPL, set up under Scheme for Integrated Textiles Park, is equipped with infrastructure for 2,000 functional handlooms, but at present only 150 looms are functional because of funds shortage. At the time of setting up of the handloom park in the 26 acre land, the Union government had sanctioned 40 per cent ( Rs. 13.6 crore) of the amount and provided the remaining 60 per cent (Rs. 21 crore) of the amount through banks to 35 Weaver Entrepreneurs to complete the project. “Since then, the borrowed amount multiplied and increased to Rs. 39 crore as weavers failed to pay the interest, CEO of PHPL, H.K. Chari said. Mr. Rao held discussions with officials of his ministry and decided to sanction Rs. 15 crore for the revival of PHPL. The weavers also demanded that the Union Minister set up an Indian Institute of Handloom and Textile Technology at PHPL.

NTC investment

The National Textiles Corporation will invest Rs. 464 crore in processing a spinning and weaving project in the State. The Union Textile Ministry has agreed to sanction proposals for 40 new projects under group approach and 15 under cluster approach.


Pochampally hues a big drawMarch 19, 2015