SEARCH

News » International

Updated: September 6, 2010 14:49 IST

We do not trust ETA ceasefire: Spain

AP
print   ·   T  T  
Spain's Interior Minister Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba reviews the troops before meeting his counterpart, Morocco's Interior Minister Taieb Cherqaoui, at the Moroccan Interior Ministry in Rabat. File photo: AP.
Spain's Interior Minister Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba reviews the troops before meeting his counterpart, Morocco's Interior Minister Taieb Cherqaoui, at the Moroccan Interior Ministry in Rabat. File photo: AP.

Spain’s interior minister has dismissed a ceasefire announcement by the Basque separatist group ETA and says police will be as tough as ever against the armed militants.

Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba says ETA’s statement on Sunday falls short of what Basque society and other Spaniards demand from the militant group, which is that it renounce violence for good.

The minister told Spanish National Television on Monday he is convinced ETA will continue with other illegal activities like trying to amass weapons.

Mr. Rubalcaba says the militant group has declared the truce because it is so weak it cannot stage attacks.

Its last deadly attack in Spain was in July of last year, when it killed two policemen with a car bomb. Nearly 240 of its members have been arrested since 2008.

RELATED NEWS

Basque separatists end armed campaignSeptember 5, 2010

More In: International | News
The Hindu presents the all-new Young World

An act that triggered a World War

A century ago this day, a double murder carried out by a group of Bosnian assassins became a historic event. »  

National

Business

Cricket

Sport


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in International

Israeli cabinet discusses U.S. ceasefire proposal

Israel’s security cabinet on Friday discussed a new ceasefire proposal for Gaza from US Secretary of State John Kerry, Israeli radio rep... »