Fresh quake rocks Awaran
As Balochistan struggles to cope with a powerful earthquake four days ago, another one with intensity of 7.2 on the Richter scale rocked parts of Awaran, on Saturday killing four people. However the toll is rising as reports are coming in.
Once again, the security troops carrying out relief operations were targeted on Saturday and terrorists fired on a convoy of Frontier Corps carrying rations near Panjgore killing four and injuring three, according to a statement from the Inter Services Public Relations.
Spokesperson for the Balochistan government, Mr. Jan Muhammed Buledi, said Awaran was badly affected again with Nokjo and Mashkay bearing the brunt of Saturday’s earth quake.
The U.S. Geological survey recorded the event at 12.34 p.m. on Saturday at a depth of 14.8 km, 96 km from Awaran, which is extensively damaged in the earlier earthquake on September 24. It said this earthquake was an aftershock of the previous one.
In Tuesday’s earthquake so far 359 are confirmed dead, he said while the figure for the injured is 765. In Awaran alone 32,000 families are affected while in Kech it is 5,000. The chief minister of Balochistan is camping in Awaran area and has committees for relief. So far 20,000 food packets and 15,000 tents have been distributed Mr. Buledi said.