Former President Mohamed Nasheed has said his Maldivian Democratic Party is planning to request a “foreign organisation” to probe into the political crisis that led to the ouster of his government last month.
Mr. Nasheed told a press conference last night that on February 7, the day he resigned, “there was a moment when some businessmen spoke about him to be tortured, beaten or murdered”.
The Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group (CMAG), other international bodies and the present government are looking into issues related to the political unrest that toppled Nasheed’s regime.
Mr. Nasheed, Maldives’ first democratically-elected president, had said he was forced to resign as gun-wielding military men threatened that they would resort to using arms if he did not.
Meanwhile, President Mohamed Waheed has sent letters to political parties who participated at the all-party talks to resume the process.
The talks have been temporarily suspended as the co-ordinator is on a private visit abroad and also some major parties representing have temporarily withdrawn from it.