Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao on Friday visited the Indian embassy in Kabul, which was the target of a suicide attack on Thursday that left 17 people dead.

She, however, refrained from pointing fingers at Pakistan. “I think the investigation should be completed,” Ms. Rao told journalists in Kabul when asked if Pakistan was behind the attack.

Afghan authorities have indicated that the attack was planned from “across the border,” referring to Pakistan.

“Whoever is responsible for this attack is against peace, is against democracy, is against people of Afghanistan and against the people of India,” said Ms. Rao.

Barring three Indian paramilitary personnel who were injured, the casualties in Thursday’s attack were Afghans. The dead included two Afghan police officers and 15 civilian visa seekers.

Ms. Rao reviewed security arrangements for the mission and inspected the damage caused by the blast.

This is the second time that the Indian embassy here has been targeted. Last year, a car bomb attack left 56 people dead, including two Indian embassy officials. Indian and American intelligence officials believe that Pakistan’s ISI masterminded the 2008 attack.

After visiting the embassy, Ms. Rao met Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Foreign Minister Rangin Dadfar Spanta.

Mr. Karzai assured India’s top diplomat that there would be thorough investigations into the bomb blast.

India has a large development and reconstruction programme in Afghanistan, amounting to $1.2 billion.

More In: International | News