Cities » Mumbai

Updated: June 13, 2014 19:44 IST

Mumbai techie free after 4-month captivity in Sudan

Rashmi Rajput
Comment   ·   print   ·   T  T  
Irfan Jaffrey. Photo: Special Arrangement
Irfan Jaffrey. Photo: Special Arrangement

After being held captive for nearly four months by a group of armed men in Darfur, Sudan, Mumbai-based techie Irfan Jaffrey was released on Thursday afternoon, family sources said.

Mr. Jaffrey works with Trigyn Technologies Ltd, a multinational IT firm, which provides services to the United Nations. On March 11, a group of five armed gunmen allegedly abducted him from outside a Turkish restaurant. Since then was kept hostage in Darfur.

Confirming his release, the company issued a statement saying, "Mr. Jaffrey has been released from captivity in Sudan and at present he is in safekeeping of UN. He is being administered post-trauma care and will be returning home very soon. The release has been possible due to sustained efforts from the United Nations, Indian Embassy in Sudan, Ministry of External Affairs and Govt. of Sudan."

Nafisa, Mr. Jaffrey's wife told The Hindu that she is relieved by the news. "On Thursday afternoon we received a call from the company informing us that Irfan has been handed over to the security forces of Sudan. I am waiting to receive him at the Mumbai airport. I want to thank the media. They played a pivotal role in getting my husband back. It’s only when the news of his abduction was reported that things started moving," she said.

"I have shared the news with my son, Isaac. He has as been chanting, abbu aa rahe hai all throughout the day," Ms. Nafisa added.

"My first priority is to get him back in good shape. He has lost over 40 kgs of weight," she said.

His uncle Shakeel Ahmed, who ran from pillar to post for the release of his nephew and has been following up the case with the authorities and the company, is a relieved man. He said while they will not allow Mr. Jaffrey to go back to Sudan, the decision to continue with the present company rests with him.

More In: Mumbai
Please Wait while comments are loading...
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor
The Hindu presents the all-new Young World

Mumbai Connect Newsfeed







Recent Article in Mumbai

A file picture shows fire broke out in the 22 storey Lotus Park, Andheri, Mumbai on July 18, 2014. Photo: Paul Noronha.

Chief Fire Officer demoted in Mumbai

Nearly a fortnight after a major fire broke out in a high rise commercial complex killing a fireman, the Chief Fire Officer (CFO) of the... »