A 17-year-old youth was electrocuted while playing cricket in Armenian Street on Sunday afternoon.

According to police, Vignesh alias Vicky (17) is the son of Ravi and Lakshmi. Ravi had passed away a few years ago. While Lakshmi works as a house maid, Vignesh earned his living by doing odd jobs.

On Sunday afternoon around 2.30 p.m., he was playing cricket along with his friends on the street. The ball fell near a transformer. When he went to pick it up, he came into contact with an iron barricade and was electrocuted on the spot.

Residents said garbage is usually dumped near the transformer. “On Saturday, Corporation staff had come to clear the garbage. An electricity cable running beneath the trash must have got punctured. There must have been electricity leakage and the barricade could have come in contact with it,” said a resident.

The body has been sent to Stanley Medical College hospital for post-mortem. “Soon after the incident, Tangedco officials made some repairs,” said the resident.

Two people were electrocuted in Thoraipakkam on Sunday evening. The incident happened when Premkumar (14) came into contact with electrical work  at a shed. Venkatesan (50), who came to his rescue, also received a shock. Both of them were taken to a nearby hospital, but did not survive.   

More In: Chennai | News