Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi has advised Public Works Department (PWD) officials to ensure that the Assembly complex, coming up on the Government Estate, should be visible from outside, when completed.
In line with the Chief Minister’s advice, the compound wall of the complex will be two feet high and metal grilled gates will be seven feet tall, according to the officials.
The government had examined the compound wall design of the office of the Director General of Police on the Marina. Eventually, the Chief Minister chose the design for the Assembly complex compound wall, the officials say.
The existing gates in front of the statue of Dravida Kazhagam founder E.V. Ramasamy on Anna Salai will be retained without disturbing their original character. They will be renovated.
The statue will be re-positioned. However, a few days ago, the authorities removed the nearby statue of King Edward VII to the Government Museum here.
Another decision taken by Mr.Karunanidhi last week was that the building housing the Triplicane police station on Wallajah Road would not be demolished in view of the historical significance.
The Triplicane police district was the first to be set up when the Madras Police Division was formed in 1815. But, the present building of the police station was constructed in 1890.
Irish architect Henry Irwin, known for the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture, was associated with the construction of the police station. While Lord Connemara was the then Governor, T. Weldon was the Commissioner of Police. The Triplicane station still adorns a plaque at its entrance.
However, the Triplicane Fire Station, constructed much later, will be demolished. The building of Chepauk Member of Legislative Assembly’s office will also be razed down.