Murdered neurosurgeon Dr. S.D. Subbiah’s brother-in-law says he saw the two men with advocate Basil; investigators say suspected killers are childhood friends of lawyer

The two assailants in the sensational murder of city-based neurosurgeon Dr. S.D. Subbiah (58) on September 14 were allegedly seen on the Madras High Court premises by the complainant in the case. A.A. Mohan, brother-in-law of the deceased, has claimed that he saw the assailants along with one of the key conspirators Basil, an advocate.

“I identified the assailants on the court premises on the evening of September 17 as the men in the CCTV footage and alerted Sub-Inspector Sankaranarayanan who was with me. On seeing us, they escaped in a motorcycle. When the SI tried to intercept them, Basil physically prevented him and was joined by some other advocates,” Mr. Mohan, also an Accountant Member, Income Tax Appellate Tribunal told The Hindu.

Police sources too confirmed that when the assailants spotted Mohan identifying the duo to the officer, they attempted to flee on their motorcycle while advocate Basil walked up to the officer who was waiting near the North Gate of court to intercept the suspects. While the duo sped away through the Aavin gate, the advocate manhandled the policeman along with his colleagues facilitating the escape of the suspects, police sources added.

Sources in the investigating team suspect the killer clad in a white shirt in the footage was Yesuraj while the other was Kumar Selvasivalingam, both members of a local kabaddi team and childhood friends of Basil from Kanimadam Village near Samithoppu, Kanyakumari district. While Basil and his brother Boris were taken into eight days of police custody on Monday, the assailants are at large.

Eyewitnesses to the doctor’s attack told investigators that they had seen the assailants speed away on a blue Pulsar motorcycle after the attack on Dr. Subbiah on September 14. According to Mr. Mohan, the duo he saw on the High Court premises were on a similar motorcycle.

Dr. Subbiah, who retired from the Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital in July this year, was employed as consultant at a private hospital in R.A. Puram. Around 5 p.m. on September 14, the doctor was brutally hacked by two men when he was about to get into his car. The doctor succumbed to grievous injuries days later. The attack was caught on CCTV and extensively broadcast by the media.

More In: Chennai | News