Fire broke out at a chemical solvent storehouse in Nehru Nagar, inside Perungudi industrial estate, on Friday evening. 

Around 45 barrels of ethyl acetate stored in the building were gutted. No casualties were reported.

According to Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue Services (TNFRS) officers, the fire broke out at 6.27 p.m. 

A total of 13 fire tenders, 70 personnel and nine Metrowater lorries were pressed into service. The flames were doused around 9.30 p.m.

Power supply to the locality was also cut as a precautionary measure.

“There is a government kerosene depot adjacent to the storehouse. We sprayed foam around it to prevent it from catching fire,” said a TNFRS officer.

He said the staff of the chemical company had switched off the main electricity box before leaving. “So there is no chance of a short circuit. We are yet to ascertain the cause,” the officer said. 

D. Thyagarajan, who works in a company five buildings away, said he felt the heat and rushed out to see what was happening.

“I saw flames rising up and was shocked. There was a fire accident in the industrial estate a few years ago,” he said. 

On The Hindu’s Twitter handle, ‘@Shhy10’ said the heat wave was unbearable. 

More In: Society | Chennai