It took several hours and 12 fire tenders to douse the fire
It took several hours and 12 fire tenders to douse the fire that broke out at a godown of a logistics company in Hindalwadi Cross in Anekal taluk in Bangalore Rural on Thursday.
The Fire and Emergency Services personnel were trying to douse the fire at the godown till late on Thursday night. Electronic items, furniture, clothes and several other items, all worth several crores of rupees, were gutted.
The police said that that the godown belongs to ‘Future Supply Chains Solutions Limited,’ a supply chain and logistics company. According to the police, when the fire broke out at around 2.30 p.m. on Thursday, there were 200 workers on the premises. All the workers evacuated the building in the nick of time because fire alarms and smoke detectors were in place in the godown.
As soon as the fire broke out people from the neighbourhood gathered near the building. It was quite a task for the Fire and Emergency Services personnel to begin their work. They had to demolish a portion of the wall of the godown to douse the fire that had broken out inside the premises.
Workers in the godown suspect that short circuit must have triggered the fire. Some workers told the police that sparks from a UPS battery in the building had triggered the fire.
Superintendent of Police (Bangalore Rural), B. Ramesh said that the godown, looked after by one Anjuman Singh, covers an area of about 2 lakh square feet and was completely gutted. “Some workers had tried to put off the fire using the fire extinguishers on the premises, but in vain,” he added.