Electrical Inspectorate to investigate the case

A few days after six-year-old Rakshita sustained extensive burns after coming in contact with a live wire in her house in Sunkatakatte, a 30-year-old woman constable died after being electrocuted at her residence in Kamakshipalya on Friday night. S. Chandrakala, a native of Mulbagal in Kolar district, had joined service in 2008 and was working in the Basaveshwaranagar police station. The Kamakshipalya police said after finishing work for the day, she had returned to her house at around 7.30 p.m.

The police claimed that Chandrakala’s family had drawn wires from an electrical board on the ground floor to their house on the first floor. A wire from the same board was also used to run the motor to pump water to the tank. They suspect that she may have been electrocuted after touching the pipe connected to the motor. The area, they claim, was also wet, which could have led to the electrocution. The electricity connection to the house has since been disconnected, the police said.

Though Chandrakala was rushed to the hospital immediately, she was declared brought dead by hospital authorities. She is survived by her husband Dinesh and their two daughters, aged seven and five.

The police have registered a case of unnatural death. They are yet to ascertain whether the wires drawn from the electrical board were skinned. The Electrical Inspectorate has been asked to investigate the case, while Bangalore Electricity Supply Company (Bescom) officials claimed that there was “no Bescom line” to the house. “We have directed the Safety Department to verify the reasons behind the accident,” an official said.

Rakshita’s case

Bescom officials also visited the spot when Rakshita came in contact with a live wire in her house. In a report on the incident, officials stated that the low tension and high tension wires opposite the house were at a safe, prescribed distance.

The child, who has sustained severe burns on both arms, legs, back, shoulders, stomach and chest, is currently undergoing treatment in the Burns Ward at Victoria Hospital.

The report states that the child came in contact with the live wire while trying to retrieve her hairclip with a metal rod.

A Bescom official said the report would be sent to the government, while the Electrical Inspectorate would also investigate the case.

Rakshita’s distraught father Venkatesh L., a cab driver, told The Hindu that Bescom engineers visited them at the hospital. However, there was no mention of compensation.

More In: Bengaluru