GVMC and the Visakhapatnam Port Trust would take up improvement of basic amenities in the city with Rs. 14.23 crore, which is the value of 51 per cent of the taxes the latter has to pay to the corporation, Municipal Commissioner M.V. Satyanarayana said here on Saturday.

It is a practice between the GVMC and the VPT for the latter to pay 49 per cent of the its taxes in cash and take up works worth the value of the rest 51 per cent. The VPT has to pay Rs. 27.92 crore as taxes during the current financial year. It will soon pay to GVMC Rs. 13.68 crore in cash.

A proposal was made to the VPT on works worth Rs. 7.12 crore like development of beach at Lawson’s Bay (Rs. 3.50 crore); development of storm water drains and footpaths from Jagadamba Junction to Super Bazaar, Ambedkar statue to Indira Ganndi statue and Vivekanana statue to Chavulamadum (Rs. 1.5 crore); regularisation of SL canal at Ferry road junction near Kotaveedhi (Rs. 1.29 crore) and some others works, Mr. Satyanarayana told reporters. VPT would inform GVMC soon the works it would be taking up.

More In: Visakhapatnam