While pedestrians were the highest road victims at 40 per cent, the second highest were two-wheeler riders. A majority of the two-wheeler riders were teenagers.

The negligence of a doctor can claim the life of one or two patients but the negligence of a bus or lorry driver can snuff out the lives of 30 to 50 patients in one go. The recent accident involving a private bus from the State at Osmanabad in Maharashtra in which over 30 passengers were killed stands testimony to this, said Deputy Transport Commissioner in charge Ch. Sridevi.

Participating as chief guest at a ‘drive safe’ workshop organised by Indian Oil-XtraPremium in association with The Hindu at Swagat outlet of IOC at Sontyam near here on Friday, she informed the drivers, who participated in the awareness workshop, that the accident was caused due to ‘drunken driving’ by the bus driver. She must have surely driven home the message among the participants about the danger of ‘drunken driving’.

Ms. Sridevi hailed the Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) for giving importance to training of drivers in safe driving practices She said that the Transport Department was also conducting training programmes on safe driving.Sukhdev, owner of Swagat outlet of IOC, lauded the role of The Hindu in the education of drivers. Motor Vehicle Inspectors M. Butchi Raju and R. Ch. Srinivas gave a presentation on various aspects of road safety.

Regional General Manager of The Hindu T.V. Suresh spoke.

VITAM

The students were all ears as Mr. Butchi Raju gave a presentation on safe driving practices. Quoting from statistics, he said that 80 per cent of the accidents were occurring due to human error while the remaining 20 per cent were due to poor vehicle condition, road faults and weather conditions.

While pedestrians were the highest road victims at 40 per cent, the second highest were two-wheeler riders. A majority of the two-wheeler riders were teenagers.

The students listened in rapt attention. DTC in charge Ch. Sridevi participated as chief guest. Principal of VITAM College Ch. Prabhakara Rao spoke.

More In: Visakhapatnam