Four of the severely injured shifted to KGH

Five persons were injured, four of them severely, in a fire that broke out due to gas leak on the first floor of a house at Gollallapalem near Singh Hotel junction on Thursday.

Gas leaked at the house of Ch. Vamsi Krishna Rao (30). His family members woke up at around 7.30 a.m. on Thursday and realised that gas was leaking from the cylinder. Fire broke out as soon as V. Vijaya (40) put on the light switch. Krishna, Vijaya (40), Sai (14), and Sravani (13) were severely injured and K. Ramana (25) sustained simple injuries in the blast.

They were shifted to the King George Hospital for treatment. Assistant District Fire Officer Ch. Krupavaram visited the blast site. “The fire was put off with a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher. Ramana jumped from the first floor and managed to escape with simple injuries,” said Station Fire Officer M. Sanjeeva Rao.

In a cylinder blast at Dolphin School, Seethammadhara, the walls of the watchman’s room below the stairway were partially damaged. Luckily, there was no one in the room and the school was closed for Pongal holidays. There were no casualties.

More In: Visakhapatnam