SEARCH

Cities » Tiruchirapalli

Updated: February 16, 2014 09:28 IST

Tiruchi Corporation to hire workers for mosquito control drive

Special Correspondent
Comment   ·   print   ·   T  T  

About 475 workers to be hired on a temporary basis for 120 days as per government order

The Tiruchirapalli City Corporation’s initiatives aimed at controlling mosquito breeding in the city is set to get a boost with the civic body set to hire about 475 workers, on a temporary basis for 120 days as per a government order.

Exclusive task

The workers would be tasked exclusively for taking up anti-mosquito operations and environment development works in the city.

As per the government order, the Department of Public Health and Family Welfare will meet 40 per cent of the expenditure incurred for hiring the workers and the remaining 60 per cent will have to be borne by the respective local bodies.

According to official sources, one ‘domestic breeding checker’ would be appointed for every 2,000 people in the city.

With the city having a population of 9.50 lakh, it requires 475 workers as per the norm.

The appointments would be made through the district administration after obtaining the approval of the Corporation Council, sources said.

Although the Corporation has been taking up anti-fogging operations and also to check breeding of mosquitoes in open drains, it has been hampered by manpower shortage.

The move, sources said, would greatly help the civic body to take up the task in an intensive manner at the micro level.

The Corporation has already hired about 421 workers through private agencies for solid waste management in the city.

Stray animals

The civic body has also planned to outsource the task of impounding stray cattle in the city.

Tenders have already been called for executing the task, and the bids will be placed before the council for approval.

The contractor would be tasked with impounding stray cattle, including cows, goats, donkeys and horses, in the city and hand over the same to the civic body and maintain them for the specified period.

The Corporation has already enacted by-laws banning pig rearing and restricting cattle rearing in the city following repeated complaints over the stray cattle menace in the city.

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Tiruchi Connect Newsfeed

Tamil Nadu

Chennai

Madurai

Coimbatore

Puducherry



O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in Tiruchirapalli

Pachamalai to be ecotourism destination

Rs. 2.3 crore allocated by Tourism Department »