Food safety officials closed a temporary food establishment within the Government Medical College Hospital compound here after a small snake was found in the curry bought from there.

V. Omana and her son from Aryanad had bought appam and green peas curry from the eatery for breakfast. As they were midway through the food, the mother spotted a worm-like creature in the curry which was later identified as a snake.

Chief Food Safety Officer with the Mobile Vigilance Squad, Satheesh Kumar, said that samples of the food had been sent to the analytical laboratory and a report would be submitted to the Commissioner of Food Safety on Thursday. A report detailing the condition of the eatery run by the Teachers’ Credits Cooperative Society was submitted to the Commissioner on Wednesday itself.