MCC will decide on issuing the work order on Monday
About one-and-a-half years after selecting a company to manage its garbage, the Mangalore City Corporation is all set to take a decision on Monday whether to allot the company the contract or not.
Though the corporation had selected a Mumbai-based company in December, 2013 to collect and transport solid waste from all the 60 wards in the city, so far it has not been issued the work order.
The fact that MCC’s Council, though elected over a year ago, was in limbo is said to have contributed to the delay. The official machinery in the civic body did not take any decision on doing away with the present multiple contractor system of collecting and transporting garbage, implementation of a new solid waste management scheme was hanging in balance.New scheme
The new scheme is called three-package solid waste management scheme. According to it the operation and maintenance of compost plant and landfill site at Pachchanady has been handed over to a Delhi-based company under a package.
The 60 wards in the city have been bifurcated as north (29 wards) and south zones (31 wards) under two packages for collecting and transporting the waste to Pachchanady.
The two packages were made to ensure two separate companies are assigned the job. But as the bid of Antony Waste Handling Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai was the lowest, the corporation selected the same company to take up the work of both the packages.
Mayor Mahabala Marla told The Hindu that the company officials have been asked to make a presentation on how they would make a difference from the existing multiple contractor system. They would have to explain about their preparedness, vehicles, manpower and other facilities required to take up the work at one go.
If it was satisfied the company might be asked to take up the work in north zone first, prove themselves and take up the south zone work later.