It took eight hours for firemen to douse the flames
Scores of electronic goods live TV sets, refrigerators and microwave ovens were reduced to ashes after fire broke out in a godown accommodated in a three-floor building in Musheerabad after Sunday midnight.
As the godown was locked, the firemen could not go inside and blazes continued to erupt all through the night. It took several firemen more than eight hours to put out the fire completely. Fire tenders worked relentlessly using more than 60 water tankers to control the flames.
The building was being used as godown for electronic goods by a businessman named Ravindranath who owned Gajanan Enterprises. No workers were inside the building on Sunday. “We’re not yet sure about the cause of fire but it started a little after midnight. Alerted by neighbours, we rushed there along with firemen within a few minutes,” the Musheerabad Inspector Shyamsunder said.
The police engaged labourers to demolish the front portion of the building so that firemen could identify the source of fire and go inside to put off flames. The fire was brought under control by 8 a.m. A case of fire accident was registered.