The police are also probing charges of negligence on part of the civic body, BSES

The owner of a jewellery shop and her son were arrested on Monday in connection with the electrocution of documentary filmmaker Anand Bhaskar Morla following Saturday’s deluge.

Morla, 32, died when his car door came in contact with a live wire of an air-conditioner installed on an iron gate outside a jeweller’s shop in Green Park.

“We have arrested Kamlesh Bansal and her son, Dhruv, who run Jwell Den, a jewellery shop in A-22 market complex where the incident took place,” a police officer said.

The police said evidence suggested that the shop owners were negligent as they had placed the AC unit with an exposed live wire.

The mother-son duo faces charges under Section 304-A for causing death due to negligence.

The officer said the police were also probing charges of negligence on the part of the civic body or the BSES, which supplies electricity in the area.

The incident took place when Morla, his wife Supriya, their son and grandmother went to the Green Park market.

The filmmaker and his grandmother got off to visit an ATM in the complex while his wife and son waited in the car.

When they returned, Morla opened the car door for his grandmother and it came into contact with the wire, electrocuting Morla.

As his grandmother screamed, Supriya and her son came out of the car and saw Morla on the ground.

Several others in the vicinity also rushed in to help. The filmmaker was taken to the Safdarjung Hospital where he was declared brought dead.

Although the hospital is less than two kilometres from the market, the family lost precious time as it had to negotiate waterlogged roads and traffic jams on the way.

Residents of Green Park said there had been incidents in the past when security guards and employees other different shops also getting electric shock after touching the jeweller’s gate.

More In: Delhi