The Delhi Metro will extend up to neighbouring Faridabad during Phase-III of its construction through a completely elevated corridor covering about 14 km. The route will be an extension of the existing Line 6 (Central Secretariat-Badarpur corridor) and will be built on standard guage.

Haryana-Delhi project

“The Faridabad corridor will have a total of nine stations -- Sarai, NHPC Chowk, Mewala Maharajpur, Sector 27-A, Badkal More, Faridabad (Old), Ajronda, Faridabad (New Town) and YMCA Chowk,” said a Delhi Metro Rail Corporation spokesperson.

The proposal to extend the metro to Faridabad got the Central Government approval in August. The total cost of the project will be Rs.2,533 crore, with 80 per cent funding being provided by the Haryana Government and remaining 20 per cent by the Delhi Government.

“The land for the project will be provided by the Haryana Government, and the Centre and the Haryana Government will bear the taxes in 80:20 ratio respectively,” added the spokesperson. The project will be exempt from State taxes.

The depot will come up near Faridabad Sector 20-A and the receiving sub-station will be located at Sarai.

The Faridabad link will prove to be an important link for the Delhi Metro, with its daily ridership expected to go up to around 1.79 lakh.

Keywords: Delhi Metro

More In: Delhi