Barely a day after India lodged a strong compaint against ceasefire violations along the LoC, Defence Minister A. K. Antony revealed that the number of infiltration attempts are on the rise. The minister added that all necessary steps would be taken to check the trend.
Amid an assessment by the Union government that Jammu and Kashmir will continue to face increased threat of terror attacks and attempts at infiltration, Defence Minister A.K. Antony on Saturday said the country would take measures to foil and defeat such designs.
“The attempts to infiltrate are increasing and our assessment is that this trend will continue because people who are inimical to our country feel that the situation in Jammu & Kashmir is improving. Normality is returning… they cannot tolerate,” the Minister said on the sidelines of a function here.
“So, they want to change the trend. There are more attempts of terrorist attack....Our armed forces are always taking precautions. So, rest assured that we will take whatever steps are needed to prevent and defeat this,” he said.
He said the assessment was that forces inimical to the country wanted to alter the situation, and the government anticipated attempts to disturb the peace by launching terror attacks.
Earlier this week, the Minister mentioned that at least half a dozen serious infiltration attempts from across the border were made. He reiterated that the country’s armed forces were taking all steps to prevent and defeat such moves. The armed forces maintain a multi-tier security ring in the State and the state of alert is always higher during occasions like the Republic Day.