Here are some tips to protect your hair from the vagaries of weather
Winters can be quite a nightmare for your hair, if you don’t take proper care. Hair can get parched, look dull, dry, and become brittle in winter due to varying temperatures, or weather changes. Listed below are a few simple tips that you can follow to protect and have healthy hair in the winter season.
· Wear a scarf or cap to protect your hair from the cold winds. Try and cover your hair as much as you can when out in cold winds to prevent hair breakage, prevent split ends and damaged hair. The cap should be worn loosely or else it may hamper blood circulation in the scalp.
· Deep conditioning - Apply a leave-in hair conditioner after bath to keep hair strands supple and shining. Winters can leave hair feeling dry and crunchy, hence deep conditioning is essential to fight winter blues.
· It is essential that you use a wide-tooth comb when dealing with wet hair, making sure to dab wet hair with a soft towel first. Avoid too much brushing as hair are most fragile when wet.
· Don't go outside with your wet hair. The cold breeze can create problems for your wet hair and make them frizzy and dull. Wet hair could also result in hair breakage due to cold air.
· Avoid using blow dryers and curlers on the hair. Try limiting their usage or apply a hair spray before experimenting on your hair. The less you’ll deal with styling tools the better you’ll be.
· Don't wash your hair every day, doing so will strip it of its natural oils and make them dry. Washing hair too often also replaces natural oils with artificial oils and can also cause an itchy scalp or dandruff.
Avoid taking hot showers or washing your hair in hot water. The generated heat can damage them. Instead, use cool or lukewarm water while taking head bath.
(The author of the article is founder, Dr Batra’s Positive Health Clinic Pvt. Ltd)