A quiz on Cannes, the most prestigious and publicised film festival...
1. Genesis. When was the inaugural edition of the festival held?
2. Which Indian film shared the ‘Grand Prix du Festival International du Film’ (Best Film) award in 1946?
3. To which exclusive list do Alf Sjöberg, Francis Ford Coppola, Bille August, Emir Kusturica, Shohei Imamura, Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Michael Haneke belong?
4. Which actor-couple grace the poster for the 66th edition of the Festival de Cannes this year embodying the spirit of cinema like no other?
5. Who is heading the Jury of the 66th Festival de Cannes that also includes Vidya Balan?
6. To mark the centenary of the birth of Indian cinema, which Satyajit Ray masterpiece is to be screened as part of Cannes Classics 2013?
7. Name the Indian actress in the Short Films and Cinéfondation Jury.
8. Which Amitabh Bachchan-starrer will kick off the competition section this year’s festival?
9. What distinction does Jane Campion hold as regards the Palme d’Or winners?
10. Which initiative launched in 1991 has seen, among others, Martin Scorsese, Wong Kar Wai and Sydney Pollack hold court in different years?
1. September 1946.
2. Chetan Anand’s Neecha Nagar.
3. The only multiple winners of the Palme d’Or.
4. Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward photographed during the shooting of A New Kind Of Love.
5. Steven Spielberg.
7. Nandita Das.
8. Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby.
9. She is the only woman director to have been given the coveted award.
10. The Masterclasses.